Does my Old World origin bare fruit in my work? Read it in this Perspective of the New England Journal of Medicine: Etiquette Based Medicine.
I would propose a similar approach to tackling the problem of patient satisfaction: that we develop checklists of physician etiquette for the clinical encounter. Here, for instance, is a possible checklist for the first meeting with a hospitalized patient:
1. Ask permission to enter the room; wait for an answer.
2. Introduce yourself, showing ID badge.
3. Shake hands (wear glove if needed).
4. Sit down. Smile if appropriate.
5. Briefly explain your role on the team.
6. Ask the patient how he or she is feeling about being in the hospital.