My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.shockmd.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Putting Numbers into Images



Elective breast augmentation surgery in the United States is performed on 384.000 women per year. It is the most frequent high school graduation gift for girls in the US. How do you picture 32.000 elective breast augmentations a month? Watch this video.
He translates the enormous numbers and statistics in a visual language. A language that can be felt so that they matter.

Artist Chris Jordan shows us an arresting view of what Western culture looks like. His supersized images picture some almost unimaginable statistics -- like the astonishing number of paper cups we use every single day

Related post on this blog: Performance Index UEFA Euro 2008 Championship



3 comments:

Aqua said...

We need more people in the world like Chris Jordan to help us truly grasp how desperately we need to change our ways to save this world for the next generation, or the next, or the next.

I worry so much about what life on this planet will be like for my neices, or for their kids. Thank god we live in Canada and not the U.S. or one of the four of my adorable neices might end up in prison....yikes.

Anonymous said...

That was fascinating, thank you. I've linked to your post from my blog. However, I don't share the same degree of enthusiasm for football, I'm afraid!

Dr. Shock said...

@deedee
Never mind the football that is probably a men thing.
@ both
Glad you enjoyed Chris Jordan, he definitely has a point. Some find him moralizing, well I don't.